Android is a mobile operating system that is based on Linux. Initially it was started by a start-up called android. Later on Google purchased it and took over its development.
- Its free and open source.
- It provides the unified approach to application development.
- Android is very attractive so it many vendors are interested in it.
- Developers need only develop for android and their application will work on many different devices.
|ANDROID VERSIONS||CODE NAME|
|4.0||Ice Cream Sandwich|
|5.0||Lollipop (Not Confirmed)|
Features of Android:
- Storage — Uses SQLite, a lightweight relational database, for data storage.
- Connectivity: Supports GSM/EDGE, CDMA, IDEN, EV-DO, UMTS, Bluetooth, Wi-fi, LTE, WiMAX.
- Messaging — Supports both SMS and MMS.
- Media Support — Android supports JPEG, BMP, GIF, WAC, MP3, MPEG-4, PNG and many more.
- Hardware Support: Accelerometer sensor, Camera, Proximity sensor, GPS and many more.
- Flash Support
- Tethering — sharing of internet connection as wired/wireless hotspot.
We will look in Android Framework in next session
Happy Androiding 🙂